Thursday, May 7, 2009

How to Paint Dramatic Light Effects - Day 23

8x10 on masonite
--
by artist Derek T. Collins
--
--
How to Paint Dramatic Light Effects
I seem to be in a Phase where I am trying to take lighting effects to an extreme level. I keep saying to myself, bright is good, then brighter is better. A bright light shines brightest in the dark. If you are a painter and you are wanting to acheive a bright lighting effect. Then you have to have sufficient dark areas in your painting. A flashlight shines brightest in the dark. Check back, in the next couple days I will show you some more examples, where the darks are even darker. You will be able to see how much brighter the lit up areas appear against a darker value. So many artist get hung up on the color that they are using. I pay very little attention the the color. In most cases it doesn't matter what the color is, if the green is slightly off, it's still green. A tree or grass can be a multitude of greens and it will still look like a tree. The important thing, is how dark or light, what is the value of the color. Take your focus off of, "What colors do I have to mix to get the particular shade of green". Instead, think in terms of the value. Do I mix more white or yellow in my green to make it a lighter value or do I add some blue, red, or brown to the green to get a darker value. The color is secondary. Color by itself, can't add drama to a painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment