Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What was I Thinking! original landscape knife painting


Close up


"Sweet Water"

12x16 original acrylic impressionist painting on canvas
SOLD


By Artist Derek T. Collins

Not sure what I was thinking when I got up this morning. I went to the studio to start painting and I thought, "I think I will paint a small painting today". Then I grabbed a palette knife and proceeded to paint a impressionist knife painting. You might think that doesn't sound like a big decision, but I have only painted about 2 knife paintings in the last 7 years. Come to think of it, they both sold very quickly. Duh! You would have thought that would have clued me in. I'm a little slow sometimes.
PS: Thank you for your kind words Julie B, I appreciate it. I really enjoyed doing the knife painting. I guess what has kept me from doing more knife paintings is that it is a slightly different way of thinking. The planning thought process is different. It is easy as an artist to get in a rut of doing the same thing, in the same way. It is a liberating feeling to get outside of your own box sometimes.




1 comment:

  1. Derek, this is so lovely! If my knife paintings turned out half as well, I'd be happy. I hope you do them more often!

    ReplyDelete