Monday, February 16, 2009

How I made it! Large, Canvas, Landscape, Painting


This painting morphed a couple time before I finally decided what to make it. I painted the sky and the hill and then I stopped. It initially looked like a very high hill, with tall grass. The hill was too tall to see what was on the other side. The next day I decided to put the mountain in, cutting off the top of the tall grass. I really didn't want to do that, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the hill. Then I was stuck again for another day. The mountain looked flat just sitting on the hill, and because of the way the land tilted down and to the right, it seemed like I needed to make the center of interest in that area. So, then I created the green grassy area and the barns. With everything focused in that area, the painting was now out of balance. I needed a really tall tree to counter balance the painting. Painting done! The up side to painting without a plan is that it helps me come up with new ideas and subjects, because I let the painting tell me what it wants to be. I am really happy with the painting but, the down side as in this painting, is that it took me 3 days to work it all out.


No comments:

Post a Comment